Treat bad breath - What can you do for yourself?
Treat bad breath
Even though your teeth are so beautiful, bad breath will greatly diminish your presentation if you come to someone else's neighborhood. Halitosis or fetor ex ore is the medical term for bad breath. There are many causes of bad breath. Causes that lie in the teeth, but also causes that have a different origin, for example the stomach.
Possible causes in the mouth
- Food residues between the teeth. Solution: start flossing and / or stocking up.
- Bacteria on the tongue. Solution: buy a tongue scraper at a pharmacy or drugstore and clean your tongue every day.
- Tartar and gum disease. Solution: have your dentist or dental hygienist remove tartar and ask what you can do about it to keep your teeth as good as possible free of tartar.
- A dry mouth through mouth breathing. Solution: consciously try to cancel mouth breathing and switch to nasal breathing. Consult a speech therapist or ENT specialist if you are unable to do so on your own.
- Smoking, the solution is clear.
How do you check if your breath is fresh?
Bring your (clean) hands together into a small bowl, hold them in front of your mouth, breathe out firmly through your mouth and back in through your nose.
If you cannot solve the problem of bad breath yourself, report it to your dentist. Problems in the teeth are often easy to solve. Your dentist can always refer you further at a later stage, for example to an internist, if the problem is not (only) in your teeth. Don't be embarrassed, bad breath is a problem that your dentist encounters every day in his practice.