With the month there are more and more people with cold and flu complaints. Throat complaints are also common. Many people suck on licorice or throat treats to relieve sore throats. However, this is a burden on your teeth, especially if those sweets are not sugar-free. Therefore, choose one of the alternatives for throat treats.
1. Cold water
Do you know that your throat feels so raw that you keep eating licorice? You can also reduce the feeling of 'a throat like sandpaper' by taking a sip of cold water once in a while.
2. Sugar-free chewing gum
Saliva is good for your teeth. By chewing sugar-free chewing gum (preferably with xylitol) you reduce the attack of sugars on your teeth and you increase the amount of saliva that is produced.
Bonus: saliva is a natural painkiller. The American journal PNAS, published by the science academy, wrote in an article that opiorfine (present in saliva) may be even stronger than morphine.
3. Drink chamomile tea
To relieve your sore throat and to get better faster, chamomile tea (without sugar) is good for you. Ginger tea can also help.
4. Boil with more garlic
If you do start eating, throw a few extra cloves of garlic with your evening meal. Among other things, the allicin, fruktane and flavonoids in garlic can help fight viruses and bacteria. This will hopefully get rid of your sore throat faster.
At the end of the day, of course, brush your teeth well against the smell …
5. Breathe through your nose
Sometimes it is not possible if you have a cold, but in all other cases: try to breathe through your nose. This makes your throat less dry and irritated.
Extra tips: get rid of your sore throat quickly
- Ensure good humidity (dry air can dry out and irritate your mucous membranes).
- Eat fresh chicken soup (also helps against allergies and asthma).
- Take a warm bath or a hot shower, or fill a bowl with hot water and put a towel over your head if you are hanging over the bowl. This way you steam everything out! You can combine it with peppermint, eucalyptus or chamomile extract.
- Get enough sleep.
- In case of hoarseness, do not whisper (that is extra stressful). Don't talk softer, but less.
- Try to quit smoking.